Please click the link at left to visit the new home of Writer Way at WriterWay.com.

Monday, October 16, 2006

A question of identity

Veteran blogger Jim Benson posted a comment here teasing me about going public with Writer Way because he knows I've been blogging for more than three years elsewhere using a pseudonym. My defense: The whole blogging thing was in its pre-teen years, and an avatar seemed like a good idea at the time.

Once, when I published a post questioning the business practices of a local social networking startup, the startup's founder shot me a vituperative email that began "Listen, dude, if you worked in tech, and lived in Seattle..."

Being, of course, female, working for Apple at the time, and living less than a mile from his North Seattle office, I enjoyed that email for days. Now I'll miss the anonymity that prevented people from stereotyping me based on my name or my gender. It resulted in such amusing correspondence! But, yes, Jim, blogging has come of age and I want to play with all the other grownups.

No comments:

Post a Comment